Pick Your BIC Activation Campaign by Student VillageIn Case Studies
Brief Description: Pick Your BIC Campus Activation Campaign
BIC approached Student Village to create an engaging environment where their brand could connect with students that would have them “picking their BIC” in no time. Student Village was tasked with creating the concept, instituting action and turning students into BIC supporters.
- Showcasing BIC’s range of stationary to students
- Distributing Exam & Achiever Packs and showing support towards students
- Strengthen brand awareness at campuses
- Engage with university students in a fun and cool way
- Engaging the brand and students via social media
Student Village specialises in youth marketing and engagement and did what it does best – they created a concept that would cover both method and madness, because they know that’s what millennials want. Student Village injected information with experience to make an effective impact.
- Promotion and Sampling
- Sound Event
- Fun Activities
- Social Media
The campaign kicked off with a selection of ten campuses around South Africa, achieving impressive national reach, including the likes of UJ, WITS, TUT, UCT, NMMU and more. High awareness date frames were then outlined to ensure maximum engagement; the campaign was started before exams at the end of 2014 and continued in the New Year when new arrivals hit the corridors.
Pre-marketing included collateral that was strategically positioned with enough time to rally expectations and mentally prepare the students for what was coming. This included posters placed around campus before the activation dates, in high traffic areas as a call to action for the BIC experience.
When the time came to get the ball rolling, promoters were stationed around campus and activation stations set up to hand out Exam and Achiever packs sponsored by BIC to wish students the best of luck for exams when it all started in October 2014, and in March 2015 the brand wished students good luck for the new year. This set-up was bolstered with give-aways of prizes including cameras, fragrances and more to keep students hyped and involved in the process.
There was more to be done and the pre-marketing was only getting BIC ready for the big engagement. Students love authentic, engaging and entertaining brands and resonate best with those who tick off all the boxes which is why the campaign needed to be amplified further.
Student Village implemented a multi-faceted entertainment approach including DJ Naves and DJ SPHEctacula who could be seen around the activation areas and later at the sound event.
The students were rounded up by promoters to participate in a few creative engagement elements and ultimately, the sound event, which included:
Pen Balance – Students had to ‘fight’ off one another on a balancing beam with an over-sized foam pen to fight with – the last student standing, won!
Identify that Song or Mix – SPHEctacula and DJ Naves created a variety of mixes from the most popular and current songs – specifically from artists and song titles that begin with BIC, GEL, CLIC. Teams of 2 students were asked to identify as many songs as possible as they were played in reverse.
Dance Off – BIC is looking for the top male and female dancer per campus and students had to make use of the foam pens and dance with/around/over them and then be voted for by the crowd. The students who got the most noise, won.
Open MIC – Students who could rap, beat box, sing or any other form of vocal entertainment were called to stage and had to make use of the words: BIC, GEL, 2kilometers and Cristal. They too were voted for by the crowd, and students who got the most noise, won.
- 2000 samples were distributed at each of the 10 campuses around South Africa.
- BIC trended at UKZN and UJ Campusses during their campus presence.
- Over and above the achiever packs distribution, an additional 579 451 accounts were reached directly through social media.
- Online banners managed to get an additional 7,953 impressions as added value on online platforms.
- Impactful sound events renegaded engagement from start to finish.
- Clients reported extreme satisfaction with implementation and thanked Student Village for delivering and managing the event successfully in a well prepared and organized manner.
- Having the large quantity of branding made BIC really stand out on campus – The Gazebo’s were a hit, especially at the last 2 campuses when it was really hot.
Take a look at the video: